Toddler's Corduroy Overalls

There is something special about a little boy in overalls. Overalls are so cute and sturdy-looking and make a little boy seem ready for any adventure. A couple weeks ago I was in the mood to sew overalls so I pulled out a beautiful piece of maroon corduroy fabric that I've had stored up for a couple years. I love the texture of corduroy and I love this rich colour. I'd been waiting for my toddler to get big enough to wear such a heavy fabric without it overwhelming him. As winter is approaching fast, I knew this was the time to use it!

I loosely based the overalls off of New Look 6970. This pattern has rather full legs due to some gathering around the waist. So I removed the fullness from the waist and slimmed the legs down. I also extended the legs so they reach down to the ankle. The shoulder straps were lengthened too to make the front bib section sit a bit lower and give a more traditional overall look.

I removed the snaps that give nappy access in the pattern. This change made me a little sad as it means I need to remove the whole overall every time I change his nappy, but it made sewing them a lot simpler. Corduroy is annoying to work with as it spreads fluff all over the place so I sewed them up as fast as I could and overlocked all the raw edges! My wonderful snap machine (purchased from Green Beans) added some lovely black plastic snaps to finish off the look.

I love the warm, hobbit-y look that they give my little boy. I'm very pleased with how they turned out!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kid's Clothes

Gandalf Costume

Remake: Little Girl's Pinafore